Fort Myers Boot Camp Day 1 – Field Workout
In the state of Florida our governing body the FHSAA rules that the two weeks prior to the start of the basketball season that we are not allowed to do anything with our players that involve the use of basketballs. We gave our players the first week of the “quiet” period off to take care of their grades and heal any bumps and bruises. This season we decided to use the week before practice to mentally and physically prepare our players in the inaugural Fort Myers Basketball Boot Camp.
I originally got the idea last year when I saw that VCU Head Coach Shaka Smart put his team through a week of SEAL Training (Video can be seen here). Our players have really committed themselves over the Summer and Fall in preparation for this season. However, we have several new faces and our staff wanted to bring them closer together by completing an intense workout regime in which they must rely on each other to finish.
I have decided to share with you the workouts that we put our players through each day. One thing we did not want to do is crush our players so they would come to the first day of practice burnt out; so we did some creative workouts throughout the week to prevent this. Before I share Day 1 I would like to thank the following coaches and close friends for their suggestions and help in creating this unique week of conditioning.
Andy Weigel – Strength & Conditioning Coach – University of Alabama Men’s Basketball
Lee Moon – Assistant Basketball Coach – University of North Florida Men’s Basketball
Jake Presutti -B Director of Player Development/Asst.Sports Performance Coach – Eastern Michigan University Men’s Basketball
BOOT CAMP DAY 1
(Completed on the Football Practice Field)
(5 Minute Warm-Up on Own – Jog up and back on field before starting)
- Sprint Backpedal Runs: (20/30/40 yds)
- Sprint to 20 yard line–>Walk Back to Goal Line
- Sprint to 20 yard line–>Backpedal to Goal Line
- Sprint to 30 yard line–>Walk Back to Goal Line
- Sprint to 30 yard line–>Backpedal to Goal Line
- Sprint to 40 yard line–>Walk Back to Goal Line
- Sprint to 40 yard line–>Backpedal to Goal Line
- Steam Engines (1 Minute): Stationary – bring left knee up to right elbow, drop leg and bring right knee to left elbow, repeat. (Like doing bicycle crunches standing up).
- Prison Push-Ups (1 Minute): Push Up, Bring left knee to chest and put back, Push Up, Bring right knee to chest and put back, Push Up, Jump to Feet, Repeat.
- Superman–>Banana Rolls (1 Minute): Start on stomach with arms and legs extended not touching the ground like Superman. On whistle roll over on back into Banana which is arms and legs extended not touching the ground. Switch position on the whistle…approximately every 10 seconds…on double whistle change direction.
- Slide/Sprint Runs (Four – 100 yard segments): Face same direction the entire time – Start sprinting and on the whistle defensive slide; Next whistle sprint again…Keep repeating intermittently for 100 yards.
- Froggers (25 Times): Sitting on butte, chest up and legs extended. Bring knees to chest and bring arms together (like a bird flapping wings). Repeat.
- Walking Push-Ups : Start on goal line in push up “up” position. Walk forward on hands and toes staying in the plank position to the 10 yard line, repeat backwards to the goal line. Repeat same exercise to the 20 yard line.
- 25/12: Sprint 12 times and back to the 25 yard line5 Minute Water Break
- Ladder Runs (50-40-30-20-10): Sprint from the goal line to the 50 yard line and back to the goal line; Repeat to 40, 30, 20, 10 (without stopping). Give 1 minute rest and repeat starting to the 10 yard line and working up to the 50 yard line.
- 2-way Push-Ups (Max Reps): Push Up, Then move your right arm out and push up, bring your right arm back in and push up, move your left arm out and push up, bring left arm back and push up. Repeat for Max Repetitions.
- Scissors (15 times slow): Lying on your back, start with right leg at 90 degree angle and left leg a few inches off the ground. Switch on the whistle.
- 300 Yard Sprint Intervals: In intervals (100->25->50->25->25->50->25) Sprint the distance specified and walk to the end zone. Repeat for 300 yards.
- Heels to the Heaven (25 times): Lying on back with both legs together at 90 degree angle. Use your core to raise your heels to the sky (Hips should come off ground), bring hips back down and repeat.
- 1-Arm Balance Reach Balance Push-Ups (30 seconds each arm): Stay in Push Up “up” position. Place left arm on the ground and place your feet one on top of the other with the left foot laying flat on the ground so your hips are perpendicular to ground. Extend right arm up and out (forming a cross). Bring your right arm down and twist and reach under your chest with your right arm, re-extend right arm up. Do this for 30 seconds and repeat switching arms/footwork.
- Plank Holds–>Chaturanga Holds (1 minute–>10 Seconds each way): Start in Push Up “up” position and hold that for 10 seconds, on the whistle go into the push up “down” position and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat this alternation for 1 minute. At the end of the 1 minute keep the players in the down position and see who can stay down the longest.
- Field Sprints: Sprint on the sideline the length of the football field, walk across the end zone and sprint the other sideline and walk the endzone. Repeat for 5 minutes.
Posted on November 7, 2012, in Today's Bounce and tagged Alabama Basketball, Basketball Conditioning, Boot Camp, Eastern Michigan Basketball, Fort Myers Green Wave Basketball, North Florida Basketball, Pre-Season Conditioning, Shaka Smart, VCU Basketball. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.